Activate UPS support on TS Live
Terastation Live has some preconfigured files for supporting UPS from APC and Omron. Unfortunately there is no support for configuration via web interface. This procedure shows how to enable the using of an USB UPS from APC.
Gain root access with ACP_Commander and login via telnet/ssh.
1. Connect UPS to TS Live with USB cable - don't connect AC for TS Live so far to APC
2. Check for the file file: /etc/melco/ups
ups_link= ups_connect= ups_terashutdown=60 ups_upsshutdown=off ups_recover=off use_netups=off
3. Enable UPS support (ups_link) and chose the correct UPS-type (ups_connect).
ups_link=on ups_connect=usb_apc ups_terashutdown=60 ups_upsshutdown=on ups_recover=on use_netups=off
The other tokens control the TS Live behaviour
- ups_shutdown = wether it will shutdown or not.
- ups_recover = wether it will reboot after AC power returns
4. After reboot the UPS daemon () get's activated. You could also manually start the daemon with "/etc/init.d/ups start"
5. /var/log/messages should mention it as well:
Mar 22 16:32:59 tera kernel: usbcore: registered new driver hiddev Mar 22 16:32:59 tera kernel: hiddev96: USB HID v1.10 Device [APC APC ES 500 FW:803.p6.A USB FW:p6] on usb-ehci_platform.4523-1.2 Mar 22 16:32:59 tera kernel: usbcore: registered new driver usbhid Mar 22 16:32:59 tera kernel: drivers/usb/input/hid-core.c: v2.6:USB HID core driver Mar 22 16:33:01 tera apcupsd: apcupsd 3.12.1 (06 January 2006) unknown startup succeeded
6. Power down the UPS and the TS Live should shut down afterwards. With "ups_recover = on", TS Live reboots automatically when the power line is restored,
7. Finally connect TS live power cable to APS UPS,
Supported UPS families
- APC USB
- APC Serial
- Omron USB
- Omron Serial
Other interesting files
- Stock-FW: 2.13 (I upgraded from japanese FW to "hs-dhtgl-up_213_101")
- UPS: APC ES 500 with USB cable