Album - Photo gallery generator which has theme support
What is it?
Album -  An HTML photo album generator that supports themes. It takes directories of images and creates all the thumbnails and HTML that you need.
Album is a perl script, which means you need to be comfortable with or prepared to use the command-line. If you just want a point-and-click, you may wish to look elsewhere. Features:
- You can use themes to choose or redesign the album "look and feel."
- Recursively descends directories to make a hierarchy of photo albums
- EXIF support, Video thumbnails...
- Has a plugin system that allows you to write perl code to alter the behavior of album.
- Slideshows, transparent overlays, credit tags, easy captions, and endless features!
Skip ahead to #Install Album, apt-get will resolve all dependancies for you
- Install Ipkg on the Linkstation (for end-users) and enable the NSLU2 Feed: Ipkg Package List: PowerPC
- Install imagemagick
ipkg install imagemagick
- Install the Precompiled C development environment, running on the LS (to get Perl)
- Install imagemagik from source.
Download ImageMagick.tar.gz from ftp.imagemagick.org or its mirrors and unpack it with this command:
wget ftp://ftp.imagemagick.org/pub/ImageMagick/ImageMagick.tar.gz tar -xvzf ImageMagick.tar.gz
Next configure and compile ImageMagick:
cd ImageMagick-6.?.? ./configure make
If ImageMagick configured and compiled without complaint, you are ready to install it on your system. You need to be root to install. To install, type:
apt-get install album
Download and run Album
wget http://marginalhacks.com/bin/album.tar.gz tar -xvzf album.tar.gz cd album-3.12 mkdir -p /usr/local/bin cp album /usr/local/bin/ chmod 0755 /usr/local/bin/album
- You need a web directory to put themes and your photo album. eg: /home/httpd/test the URL will be: http://myserver/test/
- First create a directory and put some images in it. We'll call this: /home/httpd/test/Photos
Using A Theme
I use this theme:
Use wget to get and install this theme
mkdir /home/httpd/Themes/ cd /home/httpd/Themes/ wget http://marginalhacks.com/Hacks/album/Themes/Dominatrix6.tar.gz tar -xvzf Dominatrix6.tar.gz rm Dominatrix6.tar.gz
To use a theme, download the theme .tar or .zip and unpack it.
Themes are found according to the -theme_path setting, which is a list of places to look for themes. Those paths need to be somewhere under the top of your web directory, but not inside a photo album directory. It needs to be accessible from a web browser.
You can either move the theme into one of the theme_path-s that album is already using, or make a new one and specify it with the -theme_path option.
Then call album with the -theme option, with or without -theme_path:
album -theme Dominatrix6 /home/httpd/test/Photos album -theme Dominatrix6 -theme_path /home/httpd/Themes/ /home/httpd/test/Photos
Full resolution images are usually too big for a web album, so we'll use medium images on the image pages:
album -medium 33% /home/httpd/test/Photos
- MarginalHacks Album Documentation
- http://marginalhacks.com/Hacks/album/Download.html MarginalHacks: Album Download
- Davepics.com - Snapshots of all Album themes
- ImageMagick: Install from Source
- marginalhacks.com Album Documentation: MINI HOW-TO
|This article is currently a stub. You can help this Wiki by . This template will categorize articles that include it into Category:Stubs.|