Album - Photo gallery generator which has theme support
What is it?
Album -  An HTML photo album generator that supports themes. It takes directories of images and creates all the thumbnails and HTML that you need.
Album is a perl script, which means you need to be comfortable with or prepared to use the command-line. If you just want a point-and-click, you may wish to look elsewhere. Features:
- You can use themes to choose or redesign the album "look and feel."
- Recursively descends directories to make a hierarchy of photo albums
- EXIF support, Video thumbnails...
- Has a plugin system that allows you to write perl code to alter the behavior of album.
- Slideshows, transparent overlays, credit tags, easy captions, and endless features!
There are a few photo gallery alternatives:
Skip ahead to #Install Album, apt-get will resolve all dependancies for you
- Install Ipkg on the Linkstation (for end-users) and enable the NSLU2 Feed: Ipkg Package List: PowerPC
- Install imagemagick
ipkg install imagemagick
- Install the Precompiled C development environment, running on the LS
- Install imagemagik from source.
Download ImageMagick.tar.gz from ftp.imagemagick.org or its mirrors and unpack it with this command:
wget ftp://ftp.imagemagick.org/pub/ImageMagick/ImageMagick.tar.gz tar -xvzf ImageMagick.tar.gz
Next configure and compile ImageMagick:
cd ImageMagick-6.?.? ./configure make
If ImageMagick configured and compiled without complaint, you are ready to install it on your system. You need to be root to install. To install, type:
apt-get install album
- Install the Precompiled C development environment, running on the LS (to get Perl)
- Download and run Album:
wget http://marginalhacks.com/bin/album.tar.gz tar -xvzf album.tar.gz cd album-3.12 mkdir -p /usr/local/bin cp album /usr/local/bin/ chmod 0755 /usr/local/bin/album
- You need a web directory to put themes and your photo album. eg: /home/httpd/test the URL will be: http://myserver/test/
- First create a directory and put some images in it.
- Create a file /home/httpd/test/Photos/captions.txt with the following contents
(use the 'tab' key where you see " [tab] ")
There are a few ways to hide photos/files/directories, but we'll use the captions file. (Try commenting out an image with '#' in captions.txt: You'll see that IMG_002.jpg is missing.)
IMG_001.jpg [tab] First image name # IMG_002.jpg [tab] Second image IMG_003.jpg [tab] Another image [tab] with a caption! IMG_004.jpg [tab] Last image [tab] with another caption.
- Now create a file with text in:
You'll see that text at the top of the page.
Using A Theme
- Use wget to get and install this theme
mkdir /home/httpd/Themes/ cd /home/httpd/Themes/ wget http://marginalhacks.com/Hacks/album/Themes/Dominatrix6.tar.gz tar -xvzf Dominatrix6.tar.gz rm Dominatrix6.tar.gz
- To use a theme, download the theme .tar or .zip and unpack it.
Themes are found according to the -theme_path setting, which is a list of places to look for themes. Those paths need to be somewhere under the top of your web directory, but not inside a photo album directory. It needs to be accessible from a web browser.
You can either move the theme into one of the theme_path-s that album is already using, or make a new one and specify it with the -theme_path option.
- Full resolution images are usually too big for a web album, so we'll use medium images on the image pages:
- Then call album with the -theme option, with or without -theme_path:
album -medium 33% -theme Dominatrix6 /home/httpd/test/Photos album -medium 33% -theme Dominatrix6 -theme_path /home/httpd/Themes/ /home/httpd/test/Photos
Adding more albums
- Let's say we go on a trip to spain. We take some photos and put them in:
- Now run album again on the top level:
This will fixup Photos so it now links to spain and will run album on Spain/ as well, with the same settings/theme, etc.. Now let's go on another trip, and we create:
- We could run album on the top level:
But that would rescan the Spain directory which hasn't changed. Album usually won't generate any HTML or thumbnails unless it needs to, but it can still waste time, especially as our albums get bigger.
- So we can tell it to just add the new directory:
album -add /home/httpd/test/Photos/Italy
This will fix the top index (in Photos) and generate the Italy album.
- MarginalHacks Album Documentation
- http://marginalhacks.com/Hacks/album/Download.html MarginalHacks: Album Download
- Davepics.com - Snapshots of all Album themes
- ImageMagick: Install from Source
- marginalhacks.com Album Documentation: MINI HOW-TO
|This article is currently a stub. You can help this Wiki by . This template will categorize articles that include it into Category:Stubs.|