BitTorrent client, installing
1. The default BitTorrent packages, bittorrent/bittorrent-gui and bittornado/bittornado-gui, are severely lacking in features, such as share rules. Before you begin, make sure to uninstall any existing versions of BitTorrent or BitTornado.
2. Since BitTorrent is written in Python, we will need to install a few packages required to compile Python programs. Use the command:
apt-get install python-gtk2 python-profiler python2.3-profiler python-dev alien
3. Download the most recent BitTorrent source package from http://www.bittorrent.com, not the precompiled Debian package (which is for the x86 architecture and will not work on the LinkStation).
4. Extract the source package to the directory of your choice. Use the command:
tar -zxvf ./source_package_name.tar.gz
5. Change over to whatever directory you unpacked the BitTorrent source to.
6. Run the command:
python setup.py bdist_dumb
7. Change over to the dist subdirectory. Use the command:
8. Run alien to create an installable Debian package. Use the command:
9. Install the newly created Debian package. Use the command:
dpkg -i new_source_package_name.deb
10. BitTorrent is now installed.