Difference between revisions of "Build additional kernel modules"
Revision as of 00:40, 23 July 2006
This article based on work done by Frontalot at Linkstationwiki.org
This article assumes you already have installed the necessary cross-toolchain(s). Please see Articles/GeneralCrossToolchain for instructions on how to install and use a cross-toolchain.
|You must use the same version of GCC as the kernel was originally built with, aka the "stock" cross-toolchain|
- Download and unpack the appropriate GPL source code. It may be obtained from the downloads area. In our example, we will be building kernel modules for the powerpc-hdhlan LinkStation:
- unzip gpl_powerpc-hdhlan.zip
- Unpack the kernel source code:
- tar -pzxvf linux-2.4.17_mvl21-sandpoint.tar.gz
- Download and apply any available patches. The 2.4.17_mvl21-sandpoint kernel needs 2 patches:
- patch -p1 < netfilter.patch
- patch -p1 < usbvideo.patch
- Download a working kernel .config from here and place it in the kernel source directory. Make sure to rename the kernel .config file to .config:
- mv powerpc-hdhlan.config .config
- Open up
.hhl_cross_compilein a text editor. Replace the existing text with the name of the cross-toolchain -
powerpc-hdhlan-linux-in our example. The trailing dash is required.
- Then start the configuration menu:
- make menuconfig
- Double-check the kernel settings then save and exit. Now you can build the kernel modules:
- make dep; make modules
- If all goes well, install the kernel modules:
- make modules_install