because of the following 2 polls development has been focused on the LS2:
- The Linkstation Community Forum / Polls / Where would you like more Openlink Development?
- The Linkstation Community Forum / Polls / Where would you like more general development (Kernel 2.6, avr_evtd)?
Obviously there are many LS2 users out there or at least they are the more frustrated ones as there was good development going on for the ppc boxes.
lb_worm started by creating a Freelink-image for the LS2
It was a good idea to buy the bricked LS2 via ebay. Kuroguy was able to fix it and could begin to look at enabling the serial port and designing a cable for the JTAG Port. The serial port worked quite fast. It turned out that kuroguy`s JTAG cable for the LS2 worked, there was a patch for HairyDairyMaid needed. LinuxNotIncluded, who already surprised us all with his good UBoot Ports for the Linkstations and his patch for the 18.104.22.168 kernel to make it universal, created this patch and it is working.
Because the /dev/firmimg.bin of the LS2 had a different format as the firmimg.bin from the ppc-boxes, it was not possible for mindbender to create custom versions of it. Now that we have JTAG it is possible to look at porting UBoot to the LS2 and this would allow to use the normal ppc-firmimg.bin format.
The work kuroguy & LNI did is groundbreaking for the LS2.
Currently mindbender is working on a ramdisk created via buildroot and based on uClibc to save space and to cram more stuff inside EM Mode. with UBoot, the 22.214.171.124 kernel and the new ramdisk it will be possible to:
- Boot to EM Mode by choosing the right mode via the power button
- Install custom images like on the kurobox (via ftp + untaring via telnet)
- Use fdisk to have custom partitions sizes.
- Move from the ext3 to the XFS Filesystem (this will matter if you convert the data partition -> transfer speed)
all this is only possible because of the work of LinuxNotIncluded (UBoot-Port, 126.96.36.199-kernel-patch).
And never forget andre. He constantly provides us the latest kernel for all ppc boxes with his bootloader (via loader.o) and thats also much work. http://hvkls.dyndns.org/downloads/ or http://downloads.linkstationwiki.net/mirrors/hvkls.dyndns.org/ mirrored here in the downloadsection.
Here most of development is going on. lb_worm is customizing the ramdisk & trying to create a FreeLink-hddrootfs, oh1jty is customizing the hddrootfs, jonli447 already booted a newer kernel and georg is thinking about creating a custom updater. All this is looking very promising.
Ramuk started a nice project called FreeLinkomatix. The name was chosen because it was something like Automatix on Ubuntu. It does most of the things that a normal user would do anyway automatically. Thats why it makes it much easier getting started with debian on the Linkstation.
- Move all Platforms to UBoot
- Move to the latest kernel on all boxes
- Create a FreeLink for the LS Pro
- Create an unified OpenLink via Buildroot or OpenEmbedded for all Platforms
This category has only the following subcategory.
Pages in category "Development"
The following 23 pages are in this category, out of 23 total.