Create a custom firmware image
This is a description how someone can create a custom firmware image.
There is only one requirment ->You have to know the password of image.dat
1) unzip the image.dat that resides in the zip-file of the base image with the right password
provide the right password for the firmware.
the result of this is a tmpimage.tgz...this is the tared root-filesystem of the firmware image.
2) create a folder where you want to untar the image and untar it
mkdir <foldername> cd <foldername> tar -vxz --numeric-owner -p -f ../tmpimage.tgz
now you can see the root-filesystem which normaly resides on /dev/hda1 (or / )
3) modify the image as you like
4) create the tmpimage.tgz again
(you should be in the folder where you extracted the image)
tar -vczf ../tmpimage-new.tgz . cd .. mv tmpimage.tgz tmpimage-old.tgz mv tmpimage-new.tgz tmpimage.tgz
5) create the image.dat again
CAUTION: if you use the wrong password, the firmware updater / the linkstation will fail to unzip the image.dat.....this means you will have a wiped /dev/hda1 with no files on it.
Opening the case will be the only possible solutions.
zip -e image.dat tmpimage.tgz
you should have a custom image.dat afterwards :)