The purpose of this project is to have a place to archive TV shows recorded via ReplayTV and still be able to access them by browsing to the Kurobox from any ReplayTV on your LAN. I personally have this running on my LAN and it works flawlessly! Keep in mind, you will need at least an HG model for this to work reliably. A standard Kurobox will work with very mixed results.
The following set of instructions is assuming you will be starting from scratch on a Kurobox…let’s get started!
- Follow steps spelled out here
- Use the latest Kurobox Debian image from here (Be sure to select the correct download for your Kurobox [HG vs non-HG])
After Debian is installed it’s a good idea to install an ftp server. The Kurobox must have internet access at this time in order to install.
- Switch to root
# su root
- Install proftpd
# apt-get install proftpd
- When asked if this should be in inetd mode or standalone mode, select inetd mode if there isn’t going to be a lot of ftp traffic.
- Verify you can log into the Kurobox via FTP.
Install Key Packages
This will install some of the basic things to assist in making life a little easier when dealing with Debian.
- Install Key Packages which can be found here
Install Java (1.4.2)
Java is needed in order for DVArchive to run. DVArchive 3.2 now supports Java 1.5. If you are interested in installing that instead, check out this link. I'm told by the author of DVArchive that it doesn't gain any benefits if you choose Java 1.5 over 1.4.2.
- How to install Java 1.4.2 can be found here.
- Be sure to do the “mkdir opt” step in step 4 or else you will get errors.