Dynamic DNS updater
Based on work by flavoie
Sites like www.dyndns.org allow you to use names like mysite.homelinux.com mysite.dyndns.org instead of your IP address, even if your IP address changes all the time as is often the case with DSL connections. For a list of available Free DNS services you can try these Dynamic DNS providers.
- Get an account at www.dyndns.org Write down your dyndns.org username and password, you’ll need it for the dyndns updater configuration. Just for simplicity, let’s assume you created “MyOwnDyndnsAccount” with a “MyOwnDyndnsPassword” password.
- Create a Dynamic DNS entries at dyndns.org.
example: 3 names mysite1.homelinux.com mysite2.homelinux.com mysite3.homelinux.com
- Get on your Linkstation using telnet or ssh apt-get install ddclient
apt-get install ddclient
- You’ll get a few questions from the installer (don't remember the exact order):
- The interface: "web". You'll need to change that later.
- Dyndns hosts list: use commas “,” between the Dyndns host names: mysite1.homelinux.com,mysite2.homelinux.com,mysite3.homelinux.com"
- you'll need to modify the file directly for the "use=" line, here’s a sample that works
(change "use if=..." to "use=web, web=checkip.dyndns.org"):
Linkstation:/etc# more ddclient.conf pid=/var/run/ddclient.pid protocol=dyndns2 use=web, web=checkip.dyndns.org server=members.dyndns.org login=MyOwnDyndnsAccount password=MyOwnDyndnsPassword mysite1.homelinux.com,mysite2.homelinux.com,mysite3.homelinux.com
Here is another example for a ddclient.conf, with additional settings for OpenDNS:
# /etc/ddclient.conf daemon=300 # check every 300 seconds syslog=yes # log update msgs to syslog pid=/var/run/ddclient.pid ssl=yes use=web, web=checkip.dyndns.com/, web-skip='Current IP Address: ' #DynDNS for [dyndns_host_name, e.g. bob.ath.cx or bob.dyndns.org] server=members.dyndns.org protocol=dyndns2 login=MyOwnDyndnsAccountName password=MyOwnDyndnsPassword mysite.homelinux.com #Dynamic IP for OpenDNS account server=updates.opendns.com protocol=dyndns2 login=MyOpenDNSAccountName password=MyOpenDNSPassword MyOpenDNSLabelName #You an find it at https://www.opendns.com/dashboard/networks/