Firefly Media Server (formerly mt-daapd) is an open-source media server (or daemon) for the Roku SoundBridge and iTunes. It serves media files using Roku Server Protocol (RSP) and Digital Audio Access Protocol (DAAP).
Its features include:
- Support for running on Unix/POSIX platforms
- Support for Windows and Mac OS X
- Support for MP3, AAC, Ogg, w:FLAC, and WMA
- Support for Roku SoundBridge via RSP
- Support for on-the-fly transcoding of Ogg, FLAC, ALAC, and WMA
- On Windows platforms, on-the-fly transcoding of WMA Lossless, WMA Pro and WMA Voice.
- Web-based configuration
- Support for user-created smart playlists
- Integration with iTunes library including reading playlists
- Supports serving streaming radio stations
Firefly Media Server was formerly known as mt-daapd. It was renamed when it adopted new features such as support for RSP and support for Microsoft Windows and Mac OS X. The instructions for Firefly will involve compiling from the SVN version. This version has a somewhat better web interface than the lastest stable release of mt-daapd (0.2.4.1) and a few additional enhancements.
Telnet Enabled Firmware
These instructions point to precompiled binaries for the PowerPC linkstations of the lastest stable release of mt-daapd (0.2.4.1) as well as instructions on how to compile the latest stable release of mt-daapd (0.2.4.1) from source code.