FreeLink for the LinkStation Quad
This page will describe the steps taken to get FreeLink and subsequently Lenny on my newly acquired Quad (LS-QL/R5). Think of it as work in progress until I actually get Debian on it. And at the same time, any comments or suggestions are very welcome.
PLEASE read through all the steps here before you try anything.
High Level Steps
- Resize partitions (optional)
- Open up for telnet
- Install FreeLink image
- Configure for Debian
- Upgrade to Lenny
- Add software
- Final customization
- Backup the changes (while not technically needed, this is highly recommended)
- ACP Commander
- FreeLink image
- Debian tarball
Resizing the partitions
The following software should really be on it afterwards (personal preference, I know). The packages are listed in brackets after the software name)
- OpenSSH (ssh)
- NFS (nfs-kernel-server??)
- iTunes Media Server (mt-daapd)
- Puppet (this is very much a personal preference, but I manage all my boxes with puppet). Other options are cfengine and chef.