UrJTAG is a dedicated JTAG tool, derived from the Openwince JTAG tools. While development of the openwince JTAG tools stalled in 2005, UrJTAG now in 2008 is under active development.
It integrates all existing patches for the openwince tools, and adds new features (like SVF player and BSDL parser) and support for new cables, even USB based cables.
The project homepage is http://urjtag.org.
Get the source
The most recent version is always available from the Subversion repository.
From time to time, a new release is made available at the SF/UrJTAG download page
However, the 0.7 release doesn't have exactly the code integrated as the special openwince JTAG tools version used here. Unless there's a 0.8 available, you should rather use the code from the Subversion repository.
You can get it with Subversion:
Then compile with
cd urjtag ./autogen.sh ./configure make
UrJTAG works with parallel port cables such as the Wiggler. Also there's quite good support for USB cables based on FTDI chips and some more.
Depending on your architecture, you may need to find or create a board support file.
- Linkstation HG (ppc) users, use the msp8241 board specification file.
- Others: post them here when you figure it out.
Running the following code should reprogram the flash chip. See http://urjtag.org/book/index.html for generic instructions and sample output
cable wiggler parallel 0x378 detect include Openwince-jtag-mpc8241.txt endian big instruction SAMPLE/PRELOAD shift ir shift dr dr instruction EXTEST shift ir initbus mpc824x detectflash 0xFFC00000
- You may need to run as root to access the parallel port device.
- Be sure to specify the correct cable type. Enter "help cable" for a list of cables.
- detect should print out a list of parts detected. If it prints out nothing then the rest of the commands will fail.
- Double check Flash ROM and/or Information/PPCFlashROM to verify the address of the flash for your board.
- I did not get this to work so the instructions above may be incorrect.