Difference between revisions of "Non Flashable HD-HG300"
From NAS-Central Buffalo - The Linkstation Wiki
|Line 16:||Line 16:|
*[http://forum../index.php?action=vthread&forum=6&topic=342 The Linkstation Community Forum / Linkstation HG (ppc) / DO NOT FLASH OpenLink ON HDHG-300 YOU WILL BRICK!]
*[http://forum../index.php?action=vthread&forum=6&topic=1612 The Linkstation Community Forum / Linkstation HG (ppc) / Best approach for flashing a "brickable" HG300?]
Latest revision as of 02:52, 11 September 2007
- Because of a perceived increase in bricked HD-HG300's at a certain point in time, some people came up with the theory that there is a series of HD-HG300 LinkStations out there which are somehow inherently broken and can't be flashed. This is a theory, there is no proof of this. The thought is that some series of the 300 gigabyte HG Linkstations will always be bricked if you attempt to flash them with OpenLink or FreeLink, because these are thought to be defective. Kuroguy has revived one of these bricked boxes via JTAG, so if you brick your box, all is not lost. The serial numbers below are not number ranges, they are single serial numbers where the last three digits have been anonymised.
- The theory says you have have one of these LinkStations if your Serial Number is below:
There is a significant amount of controversy with regards to whether a Non-Flashable LinkStation even exists. Please post your thoughts on the talk page Talk:Non Flashable HD-HG300 or in the forum.
- You may have problems flashing these HD-HG300 LinkStations with custom firmwares OpenLink and FreeLink.
- You always are able to install FreeLink/OpenLink to a LS1/LS2/HG if you pull out the HDD and manually flash the LinkStation's firmware by connecting it to a workstation running Linux and untarring the tmpimage.tgz which is stored inside the image.dat of all firmwares.
- UBoot is able to load a kernel from /boot on /dev/hda1, so you won`t desperately need a telnet + ftp-enabled firmimg.bin to upgrade the kernel in flash.