Revert Buffalo Linkstation Mini To Stock Firmware
- Erase both hard drives
- Boot device in EM Mode
- Use TFTP Boot software to boot device
- Use LSUpdater software to rebuild entire device.
- Disassemble device and remove both hard drives.
- Delete all partitions from both hard drives (device will only use TFTP when boot partition is missing).
- Change your network segment to 192.168.11.x (or wire device directly to computer using network cable)
- Change computer IP address to 192.168.11.1 (subnet 255.255.255.0)
- Download and extract TFTP boot recovery software ( ftp://22.214.171.124/disk1/share/nas-recovery/TFTP%20Boot%20Recovery%20LS-WSGL%201.05.exe )
- Download and extract LSUpdater software on computer ( http://www.buffalotech.com/support/getfile/lswsgl-106.zip )
- Adjust [Flags] section in LSUpdater.ini
[Flags] VersionCheck = 0
- Add section to LSUpdater.ini
[SpecialFlags] Debug = 1
- Disable firewall on your computer (firewalls can interfere with install)
- Run "TFTP Boot.exe" on computer
- Boot device in EM mode (power off, hold function button while powering on, release function button when blue light starts flashing, press and release function button again, press function button when red light starts flashing, repeat until TFTP boot succeeds)
- Wait for TFTP server to send images to device (initrd.buffalo and uImage.buffalo)
- Close TFTP Boot window
- Run LSUpdater.exe on computer
- Right-click on title bar of the window (where it says Updater)
- Select "Debug(D)..." from the context menu
- Select all checkboxes in both "Update" and "Config" frames (update boot, update kernel, update initrd, update rootfs, do not check version, rebuild partition table, delete user-config, force update)
- Make sure that you have selected the correct device, then click on the "Update" button to begin the update
- Confirm that you want to format and update the target device
- Wait for update process to complete
- Close LSUpdater utility.
- Enable firewall on your computer
- Open the device web page interface (should be 192.168.11.150... on DHCP networks, consult the router DHCP client list)
- Login to device (user = admin, password = password)
- Change the language and character set as needed using second menu item (looks like folded paper)
Do not proceed unless the TFTP server indicates successful transfer of initrd.buffalo and uImage.buffalo
This will restore the device to factory settings; however the web interface will be in Japanese language Follow these steps to change to the language and character set of your choice...
Congratulations! You should now have a Linkstation Mini reverted to factory settings.
- Buffalo Forum Article about TFTP Boot Procedure
- Buffalo Forum Article about Forcing Firmware Update
- TFTP Boot software for various Buffalo Linkstation models
- Buffalo downloads area (for Updater software download)