Difference between revisions of "S.M.A.R.T. hard drive monitoring"
Revision as of 00:02, 23 July 2006
1. Install the SMART monitoring tools:
apt-get install smartmontools
2. I recommend enabling the SMART daemon which will automatically monitor the LinkStation hard drive and report any serious problems. Edit /etc/default/smartmontools:
3. Smartd, the SMART daemon, will now automatically initiate on boot and monitor the hard drive.
4. Now edit the smartd config file, /etc/smartd.conf:
comment out: DEVICESCAN add: /dev/hda -a -H -m root
5. This enables monitoring of /dev/hda only and reports any hardware failures via mail to root. You can also use the following commands:
report drive information: smartctl -i /dev/hda report drive health: smartctl -Hc /dev/hda
6. You can display the temperature of your internal drive (the last number is the current temperature):
smartctl -a /dev/hda | grep 194
7. A more detailed listing of smartmontools commands are available at http://www.linuxjournal.com/node/6983/print.