Samba - a Windows-readable file share
This article based on work done by Frontalot at Linkstationwiki.org
Samba is a free software implementation of Microsoft's networking protocol released under the GNU General Public License. As of version 3, Samba not only provides file and print services for various Microsoft Windows clients but can also integrate with a Windows Server domain, either as a Primary Domain Controller (PDC) or as a Domain Member. It can also be part of an Active Directory domain.
apt-get install samba smbfs
2. Enter your domain/workgroup when prompted. The Windows XP default is MSHOME.
3. If prompted, select yes to creating a password database.
- Install SWAT:
apt-get install swatThen open your browser to http://IPADDRESS:901 and login using your root account.
- Install SWAT:
- The /etc/samba/smb.conf file is regenerated automatically on every reboot by the melco-scripts. Samba 3.0.23 is not compatible with the smb.conf that gets created for samba 2.2. In order to use use your handmade samba config, and tell the LS not to touch it: Have a look at:
The LinkStation by default comes with a version of Samba, if you want a newer version (3.0.23) you'll have to install it manually  from precompiled binaries or alternatively compile it from source.
wget http://downloads.nas-central.org/ALL_LS_KB_PPC/Packages/samba_3.0.23_ppc.tar.gz tar -C / -xvzf samba_3.0.23_ppc.tar.gz
- Ipkg on the Linkstation (for end-users)
- Experimental "unstable" ipk Packages for the MIPSEL Linkstation
Then use Ipkg to install samba_3.0.23b:
ipkg install samba
- Troubleshooting Windows shares (samba)
- How to disable the automatic update of smb.conf, proftpd.conf, Applevolumes.default
- xp tweaks
- Wikipedia:Samba (software)
- Samba Documentation
- http://www.samba.org/ The samba web site
- http://us4.samba.org/samba/docs/using_samba/toc.html "Using Samba", by Ts, Eckstein, and Collier-Brown (O'Reilly)
- http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-Guide/ - Samba-3 By Example
- http://www.reallylinux.com/docs/smb.conf - a sample smb.conf file
- Webmin to remotely administer your LinkStation
- SWAT: The Samba Web Administration Tool
- FAQ: What version of Samba does the stock LinkStation come with? Netatalk? thttpd? WU-FTPD? ProFTPD?
- The NAS-Central Community Forum / General Development / optware packages - wouldn`t that be an idea for openlink?
- The NAS-Central Community Forum / Linkstation 2 (mips) / Cannot write to USB disk
- http://us3.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/compiling.html - How to Compile Samba
- The NAS-Central Community Forum / Linkstation 2 (mips) / LS2 Samba 3.0 Installation
- The NAS-Central Community Forum / Software (mips) / Samba 3 package for LS2 MIPSEL?