Samba - a Windows-readable file share
From NAS-Central Buffalo - The Linkstation Wiki
based on work done by Frontalot
apt-get install samba smbfs
2. Enter your domain/workgroup when prompted. The Windows XP default is MSHOME.
3. If prompted, select yes to creating a password database.
The LinkStation by default comes with a version of Samba, if you want a newer version (3.0.23) you'll have to install it manually
wget http://downloads.linkstationwiki.net/packages/ppc/samba_3.0.23_ppc.tar.gz tar -C / -xvzf samba_3.0.23_ppc.tar.gz
if you want to use it on a openlinked box, then disable the updating of the /etc/samba/smb.conf by the melco-scripts. samba 3.0.23 is not compatible with the smb.conf that gets created for samba 2.2.
If you want to use your handmade samba config, and tell the LS not to touch it: Have a look at /etc/init.d/chkshare
/bin/mkcode -s > /dev/null /bin/nkf -sEO /etc/samba/smb.conf /tmp/smb.conf mv -f /tmp/smb.conf /etc/samba/smb.conf
and comment out at least the last quoted line.
- ↑ http://www.samba.org/ The samba web site
- ↑ http://us4.samba.org/samba/docs/using_samba/toc.html "Using Samba", by Ts, Eckstein, and Collier-Brown (O'Reilly)
- ↑ http://www.reallylinux.com/docs/smb.conf - a sample smb.conf file
- ↑ Webmin to remotely administer your LinkStation
- ↑ FAQ: What version of Samba does the stock LinkStation come with? Netatalk? thttpd? WU-FTPD? ProFTPD?