Samba - a Windows-readable file share
based on work done by Frontalot
apt-get install samba smbfs
2. Enter your domain/workgroup when prompted. The Windows XP default is MSHOME.
3. If prompted, select yes to creating a password database.
The LinkStation by default comes with a version of Samba, if you want a newer version (3.0.23) you'll have to install it manually  from precompiled binaries or alternatively compile it from source.
wget http://downloads.linkstationwiki.net/packages/ppc/samba_3.0.23_ppc.tar.gz tar -C / -xvzf samba_3.0.23_ppc.tar.gz
if you want to use it on a openlinked box, then disable the updating of the /etc/samba/smb.conf by the melco-scripts. samba 3.0.23 is not compatible with the smb.conf that gets created for samba 2.2.
If you want to use your handmade samba config, and tell the LS not to touch it: Have a look at /etc/init.d/chkshare
echo "Samba configration file generating..." /bin/mkcode -s > /dev/null /bin/nkf -sEO /etc/samba/smb.conf /tmp/smb.conf mv -f /tmp/smb.conf /etc/samba/smb.conf
and comment out at least the last quoted line.
- http://www.samba.org/ The samba web site
- http://us4.samba.org/samba/docs/using_samba/toc.html "Using Samba", by Ts, Eckstein, and Collier-Brown (O'Reilly)
- http://www.reallylinux.com/docs/smb.conf - a sample smb.conf file
- Webmin to remotely administer your LinkStation
- FAQ: What version of Samba does the stock LinkStation come with? Netatalk? thttpd? WU-FTPD? ProFTPD?
- The Linkstation Community Forum / General Development / optware packages - wouldn`t that be an idea for openlink?
- The Linkstation Community Forum / Linkstation 2 (mips) / Cannot write to USB disk
- http://us3.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/compiling.html - How to Compile Samba