Samba - a Windows-readable file share
This article based on work done by Frontalot at Linkstationwiki.org
Samba is a free software implementation of Microsoft's networking protocol released under the GNU General Public License. As of version 3, Samba not only provides file and print services for various Microsoft Windows clients but can also integrate with a Windows Server domain, either as a Primary Domain Controller (PDC) or as a Domain Member. It can also be part of an Active Directory domain.
apt-get install samba smbfs
2. Enter your domain/workgroup when prompted. The Windows XP default is MSHOME.
3. If prompted, select yes to creating a password database.
The /etc/samba/smb.conf file is regenerated automatically on every reboot by the melco-scripts. Samba 3.0.23 is not compatible with the smb.conf that gets created for samba 2.2. In order to use use your handmade samba config, and tell the LS not to touch it: Have a look at /etc/init.d/chkshare
echo "Samba configration file generating..." /bin/mkcode -s > /dev/null /bin/nkf -sEO /etc/samba/smb.conf /tmp/smb.conf mv -f /tmp/smb.conf /etc/samba/smb.conf
and comment out at least the last quoted line.
The LinkStation by default comes with a version of Samba, if you want a newer version (3.0.23) you'll have to install it manually  from precompiled binaries or alternatively compile it from source.
wget http://downloads.linkstationwiki.net/packages/ppc/samba_3.0.23_ppc.tar.gz tar -C / -xvzf samba_3.0.23_ppc.tar.gz
- Ipkg on the Linkstation (for end-users)
- Experimental "unstable" ipk Packages for the MIPSEL Linkstation
Then use Ipkg to install Samba:
ipkg install samba
- Wikipedia:Samba (software)
- http://www.samba.org/ The samba web site
- http://us4.samba.org/samba/docs/using_samba/toc.html "Using Samba", by Ts, Eckstein, and Collier-Brown (O'Reilly)
- http://www.reallylinux.com/docs/smb.conf - a sample smb.conf file
- Webmin to remotely administer your LinkStation
- FAQ: What version of Samba does the stock LinkStation come with? Netatalk? thttpd? WU-FTPD? ProFTPD?
- The Linkstation Community Forum / General Development / optware packages - wouldn`t that be an idea for openlink?
- The Linkstation Community Forum / Linkstation 2 (mips) / Cannot write to USB disk
- http://us3.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/compiling.html - How to Compile Samba