Upgrade (or replace) the existing LinkStation hard drive
This article based on work by DC and frontalot. Originally by frontalot at Linkstationwiki.org
There are two methods on how to go about this
- Backup your entire hard drive, partition a blank drive on a Knoppix workstation - then use it to to restore your backup then reinsert drive in Linkstation
- Use the Firmware updater to create partitions and flash the firmware
Backup your entire hard drive, partition a blank drive on a Knoppix workstation
Start by making a backup of your existing hard drive: Create a perfect backup of the LinkStation filesystem.
Partition Hard Drive
Now you need to partition the hard drive according to your needs (replacing x with whatever letter you have installed the hard drive as):
The standard LinkStation setup uses 3 partitions:
- hda1 (main ~ 400MB)
- hda2 (swap ~ 300MB)
- hda3 (mount ~ remaining)
If you want a larger main partition you should do so at this time.
Restore your backup
Restore your backup first
dd if=/mnt/whatever/hda1.bin of=/dev/hda1
You must run fix_ext2_magic, check for errors, and resize the backup image if you created a larger main partition:
./fix_ext2_magic --fix /dev/hdx1 e2fsck /dev/hdx1 resize2fs /dev/hdx1
You may have to use the force option (-f) if resize2fs complains about not running e2fsck.
Create the ext2 filesystem and swap partition
You can turn off drive checking since we are using ext2 with journaling:
mke2fs -j /dev/hdx3 tune2fs -c0 -i0 /dev/hdx2 mkswap /dev/hdx2
Place the hard drive in the LinkStation and reboot. Be patient as the first boot may take longer than normal.
Some of this information courtesy of http://www.geishuettner.de/docs/Linkstation/
Use the Firmware updater to create partitions and flash the firmware
Connect disk to LS and flash firmware
- power on LS (Reset button not pressed)
- Using The LinkStation firmware flasher, you could flash OpenLink, FreeLink or the Stock Firmware.
- Open the archive and carefully read the included README file for any specific instructions.
- Disable any firewall(s), including any built-in Windows firewall
- If you are running some virus checker or worm detection software, disable this also
- Make sure the LinkStation and your PC are on the same sub-network. This likely requires that you change the IP address (and probably the subnet-mask) of your PC and router to a different IP address in EM Mode it will have a static IP address of 192.168.11.150 or to connect your PC and LinkStation directly with a crossover cable.
- unpack HD-H*.zip (use the proper firmware for your LS)
- start HD-H*FWUpdate.exe (use the proper updater for your LS)
- press "search", should find Linkstation "EM" (Emergency Mode)
- After finding your LinkStation, press the "Renew Firmware" button, and wait. Have patience, and keep your calm. If you think the Firmware updater is acting strange, do not try to disconnect the LinkStation or abort the update in another way.
- start update, following messages appear:
Settings are being saved Firmware is being transmitted LinkStation Firmware has been renewed Settings are being restored
- if You get the following message You are done.
The firmware has been renewed
- But because the reformatting and partitioning takes too long, the Diskfull LED may blink or you can hear the disk being active (withoug LED indication).
Then you will get:
Attempt to renew firmware has failed
- if so, wait until Diskfull LED goes off or the disk activity stops after some minutes.
- press "search" again.
- start update again.
- after all the other messages You should get this time:
The firmware has been renewed
- After flashing connect your LinkStation up to the network with subnet 192.168.1.XXX the LS is now reachable via telnet and the "old" IP. so switch back IP settings and reenable the windows firewall.
Login to the LinkStation
- Find your LinkStation on the network and Telnet to it with PuTTYtel You will be at the root shell prompt:
- set root password:
- change bash to login:
- add a new guest user
useradd -m -d /home/guest guest
Be patient as the first boot may take longer than normal.