Why did I get a Linkstation?
I started out in 2005 with a Linkstation 2 (Mipsel), because we had a great need for some secure storage and backup for our work. After comparing everything on the market, it seemed like the Linkstation was the best fit for us, because:
- it was economical from a power consumption standpoint,
- it plays well on a Mac-centric network,
- it supports very large files, like .dmg files of size 10-30GB,
- it was easy to set up, and
- I trusted it once I had researched it and learned that it is Linux-based.
I had already used Yellow Dog Linux extensively, and had considered building my own NAS box from scratch, but couldn't find a small enough, power-stingy platform.
What about it didn't satisfy me?
We used this LS2 for about 9 months before I decided that I wasn't satisfied with the network speed.