WiiMC - Using Wii Media Centre with the LinkStation
WiiMC (Wii Media Centre)
Wii Media Center (WiiMC)
- Attractive libwiigui-based interface, designed with the Wii in mind
- Picture viewer
- Music player
- On-line media support, including SHOUTcast, YouTube, and Navi-X
- FAT32/NTFS from SD and USB 2.0 (FAT32 recommended)
- Network playback via SMB, HTTP, and FTP
- Multi-language support: Chinese (Simplified and Traditional), Dutch, English, Estonian, French, German, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Portuguese (Brazilian), Romanian, Russian, Spanish
- DVD playback, with DVD menu support (newer Wiis have incompatible drives)
- Files with AVC/H.264 video streams (typically .mp4, .mkv or .flv's from YouTube or other sites) with resolutions up to 720x480p usually play correctly.
- Files with MPEG-4 Simple video streams (typically XVID/DIVX .avi's) with resolutions up to 656x352 play correctly.
- Files with MPEG-2 PS video streams (typically DVD rips and TV-DVR recorded .mpg's) with resolutions up to 720x480 play correctly.
- Files with MPEG-2 TS video streams (typically HDTV recorded .ts files) with resolutions up to 1280x720 play correctly.
- AAC, AC3, FLAC, MP3, OGG Vorbis, WavPack, and WAV PCM Audio Streams all play correctly.
Supported File Extensions
3gp, asf, avi, bik, divx, dpg, dv, dvr-ms, evo, f4v, flc, fli, flv, iso, m1v, m2t, m2ts, m2v, m4v, mkv, mov, mp4, mp4v, mpe, mpeg, mpg, mqv, nsv, nuv, ogm, qt, rmvb, swf, trp, ts, vdr, vfw, viv, vob, vro, wmv, y4m (maximum allowed resolution: 1280x720)
aac, ac3, aif, aiff, amr, ape, apl, asf, flac, m4a, m4b, m4p, mka, mp2, mp3, mpc, ogg, ra, ram, rm, shn, wav, wma, wv
bmp, jpeg, jpg, png, gif
asx, m3u, pls, plx, ram, smil
- CD playback: the Wii drive is DVD only
- HD output: even on component cable Wii hardware is limited to 480p or 576i
- 5.1 sound: Wii hardware has only two analogue audio output channels (2.0)
- 720p/1080p playback or downscale: power is not enough to even decode, not to mention downscaling
- Deinterlace: CPU is not powerful enough, and MPlayer filters are not optimized
For some reason the newest version doesn't work well with older versions of Samba. This probably has something to do with UTF-8 support. This worked in one of two ways:
With Samba 3.2.5
(which is Debian Lenny's included package) and WiiMC v1.04. There is still some instability with Samba shares that have directories with alot of files/directories, it just seems to cause the whole system to crash. Also USB media doesn't work in this version well at all.
With Samba 3.4.8
(which is from Debian Lenny's backports repository) and WiiMC 1.09+. This has pretty good stability for large directories, and of course USB media works well in this release. To enable backports you need to do the following:
- 1. Add this line:
deb http://www.backports.org/debian lenny-backports main contrib non-free to your /etc/apt/sources.list.
- 2. Run: apt-get update
- 3. Run: apt-get -t lenny-backports install samba