FAQ for LS-Pro
From NAS-Central Buffalo - The Linkstation Wiki
FAQ for the LSPro stock / modified Firmware
At the moment most of the info is given only in the linked forums. Please help to add the info gathered there to this page. Thank you!
japanese web interface
- after update I have a japanese web interface. What shell I do?
Luckily this is quite easy to fix. You'll need some form of commandline access to your linkstation, either SSH or telnet. Please see http://nas-central.org/index.php/Open_Stock_Firmware#Getting_Console_.28Telnet.29_Access_with_acp_commander for an excellent set of instructions on how to do either.
Assuming you now have telnet or ssh access:
- Open the file /etc/melco/info with vi
- You're looking for the line that begins 'lang='
- Press 'i' (puts vi in insert mode) and use the cursor keys to navigate down to this line
- The line likely says 'lang=japanese'
- Edit it (cursor keys and backspace) to read 'lang=english'. 'lang=german' is also supported.
- type 'Esc' (the escape key) to put vi back in command mode, then ':wq' to save the file.
- Reload your linkstation admin webpage and it should be in English.
- Remember to disable or secure telnet now that you've finished with it, instructions in the article about enabling it in the first place.
- I want to use special characters in my users passwords (e.g. Umlaute). The webinterface won't let me
- I want to use long passwords. the webinterface won't let me
installing another (larger) hard disk
- I want to replace/upgrade the harddisk of my LS-Pro.
It is possible and not too difficult. Link to mindbenders "Open the LS-Pro" Link to mindbenders "custom partitions"
Is a possible to shut / boot the LS-Pro automatically?
- It is possible to issue a shutdown command at a specific time via cron (google for cron/crontab!)
- It is not possible to boot at a given time or via WOL (Wake On Lan). However JonDoe has described hardware modifications making the box boot upon getting power. This makes it possible to turn it on via an external automatic power switch.