Template:AdditionalFAQ

From NAS-Central Buffalo - The Linkstation Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Contents

I followed all tips from the FAQ-section...i disabled my Firewall, i try to directly connect the LS with a crossover-cable....i can connect to it over the webinterface, the samba shares and over telnet...but the firmware updater does not find the Linkstation....what else could be wrong?

Hz4711 had this problem: the linkstation has a service called ls_servd(apservd) which is needed for the firmware updater. it did not start. over telnet he could delete /var/run/ls_servd-eth0.pid because it was pretty old (you can check this by doing a "ls -a" in /var/run)...
afterwards start apservd:
/etc/init.d/apservd start
hopefully this happened only with an old openlink-version

I cannot connect to the Buffalo's FTP-Server?

The location and password have changed numerous times but the ftp-server now (at last check) allow anonymous connections (finally!):
Host: 24.153.165.234 
Username: anonymous
Password: anonymous
Path: /disk1/share
direct link for your browser:
ftp://24.153.165.234/disk1/share

Where can i download the GPL-sources for the stock firmwares?

buffalo.jp provides them here:

thx to r0m we now have a mirror!:

Why is my clock all screwed up? The localtime is set to Japan, how do I change it. Can I use ntpdate? and where I can insert the timeserver?

  1. Openlink
    1. The Original Buffalo Way, The Mipsel-hdhlan Buffalo Way, and Fixing the Buffalo Way
    2. The Correct Way - Typical, The Correct Way - Large Clock Drifts
      1. Correct the system time and setup Network Time Protocol (NTP)
  2. FreeLink
    1. Correct the LinkStation time zone setting using TZCONFIG
    2. Use apt-get to install the NTP packages. And use the Network Time Protocol (ntpdate)
      1. Solve the LinkStation's problematic clock drift

OpenLink

/bin/more doesn't work. It says 'more: /dev/console: No such device'.

cd /dev
mknod tty0 c 4 0
mknod tty1 c 4 1
mknod tty2 c 4 2
mknod tty3 c 4 3
mknod tty4 c 4 4
mknod tty5 c 4 5
mknod tty6 c 4 6
mknod tty c 5 0
(by ramon)

After moving directory to hda3 to free up space on hda1, some symbolic links don't work any more.

If you move files from hda1 to hda3 you must take care to add all necessary symlinks, to solve problems with busybox and perhaps other programs. Instructions are in the article on freeing up space on hda1.

A lot of commands stopped working. Busybox is overwritten after installing Development Tools.

This is very possible if you install some package which overwrites busybox through its symbolic links. For example, the Development Tools overwrites 'cmp' (through /usr/bin/cmp -> /bin/busybox) and this may ruin your busybox. One way to prevent this is add the k option (non-overwriting) for tar in install.sh.
If your busybox is overwritten, you might not even be able to boot. In that case, you'll have to rescue your busybox through other means, e.g. mount your HD under PC and use ext2_fix to write back the binary file.
I found busybox is easily overwritten, so I always keep another copy somewhere else and copy it back after any potential writing into /bin, /sbin, or /usr/bin.

My Linkstation has a static ip-adress and is connected to a router. How do I add (permanent) access to internet?

general settings: Ip-adress of my router is 192.168.1.1. Ip-adress of my Linkstation is 192.168.1.4. After installing mipsel-openlink-052b, first I checked /etc/resolv.conf:

 root@LS2:~# cat /etc/resolv.conf
 nameserver 192.168.1.1

I did not need to edit resolv.conf. No idea who did it for me, but thanks anyway ;-)

Adding a route manually (routing information is gone after reboot).

 root@LS2:~# route add default gw 192.168.1.1

Adding a route permanently (routing information is restored after reboot).

 root@LS2:~# vi /etc/network/interfaces
 auto lo
 iface lo inet loopback
 auto eth0
 iface eth0 inet static
 address 192.168.1.4
 netmask 255.255.255.0
 broadcast 192.168.1.255
 gateway 192.168.1.1
 root@LS2:~# reboot

In the file above I only had to change gateway from 0.0.0.0 to the adress of my router.

Verification by following commands

route -e (same as netstat -r) as well as ping google.com (and successful downloads using wget)